Monday, July 20, 2009

Tie-Dye!

DSC_5511 copy



This is like a rite of childhood, right? Only I never did it as a child and I've only once participated and they came out ugly! So I was a little intimidated....and I cheated. I bought a kit at Joann's 70% off, so it was $3! I couldn't resist. I knew this was on my to-do list but when I saw that pretty little package for $3.00, I snatched it up! Although, I have to tell you, even the kit scared me!

The boys did a scrunch technique and the girls did the roll and tie technique. The boys shirts look pretty cool and I haven't opened the girls yet. I will post photos tomorrow with all 6 of the kids wearing their new shirts.

1
The package said "enough for 8 shirts" but after we did our 6, we kept going! I think we finished all the dye after 12 shirts! I bought the Hanes pack of white t-shirts and what I learned from that is buy big!!! I wasn't thinking about the fact that they are meant to be worn as an undershirt.

2

Working together. Everybody loved to squeeze the dye......what a mess! The kids were COVERED! It will be a day or two before they come clean! I hope my neighbor doesn't kill me for the way that I sent her kids home!!! ;)

3
First we sprayed with water to moisten the fabric, another fun step!! The next time I do this, I will give the little ones the job of water spraying and the big kids the dye.

4


Mass producing the remaining shirts with the scrunching effect.

5
The rolled effect (spiral).

6
The boys doing the scrunching effect. Their shirts are pictured above in color.

7



"Are they ready" is still echoing in my head!! The sweet things are now sleeping and I am going to unwrap the rolled shirts and wash the pile of shirts so that when they wake up tomorrow they can wear them! I will bring the neighbors over bright and early and place them on their back deck so that they too can dive right in them!!!

Some helpful hints:

~make sure the kids are in old clothes that you don't care about!
~keep an entire box of baby wipes with you!
~use an old sheet that you use for painting. not a beautiful quilt that your mom made. duh!
~collect a big pile of rubberbands
~then collect more!
~buy BIG shirts!
~wrap rolled shirts in plastic wrap to keep them moist for 4-6 hours.
~hang wet shirts and don't let them touch anything or another shirt.
~hand the rolled shirts after you unwrap them, let them dry completely and then wash them.
~wash the shiirts in super hot water and keep them separate from other laundry until they've been washed several times.
~have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment